It's not all in the genes: About half of all cancer deaths are preventable, says the American Cancer Society. Follow LiveScience's 10 healthy behaviors to reduce risk:
- Quit smoking!
- Limit alcohol consumption to one drink per day for women, two drinks per day for men (and no, you can't "save them up" for the weekend).
- Use 30 SPF sunscreen, and wear sunglasses and hats outdoors.
- Stay physically active—get your heart rate up.
- Maintain a normal weight for your height (generally, within 5 to 10 pounds of what you weighed at 18).
- Eat a healthy diet: lots of fruits and veggies, but not a lot of red meat or sugary foods.
For the full list, click the link below.