President Trump isn't just doubling down on his claims that voter fraud cost him the popular vote, he says he plans to call for an investigation. In two tweets Wednesday morning, Trump wrote: "I will be asking for a major investigation into VOTER FRAUD, including those registered to vote in two states, those who are illegal and...even, those registered to vote who are dead (and many for a long time). Depending on results, we will strengthen up voting procedures!" Earlier this week, the president repeated his claim that 3 million to 5 million "illegals" voted, and he says that's the only reason Hillary Clinton beat him in the popular vote by about 3 million ballots.
On Tuesday, White House press secretary Sean Spicer backed up his boss. Trump "has believed that for a while based on studies and information he has," said Spicer, per CNN. The problem is that no news service can find any such studies. The New York Times notes that a post on the discredited InfoWars website made the claim about millions of fraudulent voters in November, and Trump has appeared on the show with host Alex Jones. Spicer did reference a Pew study, but that study's own author says there's "zero evidence" of fraud in the 2016 vote. The Washington Post fact checker blog digs into the particulars and remains unswayed: "Spicer cited repeatedly debunked research," it says, adding that "these studies do not support Trump’s Four-Pinocchio claims of 'millions' of people voting illegally."