The Vatican has released a list of seven new Deadly Sins, and satirist-curmudgeon PJ O’Rourke isn’t impressed. Writing in the Weekly Standard, O’Rourke details the updated catalogue, which includes “morally debatable experimentation,” “social inequality and injustice,” and “genetic manipulation.” Finding it wanting, the author has come up with a list of his own. Number one? Celebrity.
- Communication: The "tree of knowledge" goes global, and it's distracting.
- Youth: Too much lipo, too many adults wearing flip-flops.
- Authenticity: "Do your best to be someone better than who you truly are."
- Caring: "Takes so much time and effort that it necessarily results in the opposite of doing something."
- Opinion: Held by those who are "mindless and have their minds made up."
- To Spend More Time With the Family: Double-talking politicians.