'Odd Retching' Noise, Then a Mom's Panic
Her 10-year-old daughter had swallowed a piece of her fidget spinner toy
By Elizabeth Armstrong Moore,  Newser Staff
Posted May 18, 2017 10:29 AM CDT
Britton Joniec, 10, was rushed to the hospital after swallowing a piece of her fidget spinner.   (Facebook/Kelly Rose Joniec)

(Newser) – Fidget spinners, the hottest toy on the market, may also pose a serious choking risk. So says a mother in a Facebook post that's gone viral with more than 710,000 shares after her 10-year-old daughter swallowed one of the toy's weighted bearings. Kelly Rose Joniec, a Houston-area mom, had been driving home from a swim meet Saturday when her daughter Britton started to make "an odd retching noise in the back seat," she writes. When Joniec saw Britton's red face and drool in her mirror, she pulled over. After futile attempts to dislodge the piece, Joniec rushed her daughter to an urgent-care facility, which then helped arrange for an ambulance to a children's hospital, reports the New York Daily News.

Fidget spinners boast nearly silent operation, but their weighted bearings, roughly the size of a quarter, must be cleaned on occasion, reports HuffPost. Britton had popped one in her mouth and it ended up lodged in her esophagus; she had to have it surgically removed on Monday, per the New York Post, but she's now doing fine. While some claim the toys help students with attention disorders, others are skeptical or at the very least annoyed, and the Daily News notes that some schools have banned them at lunch and in some classrooms. Still, versions of the toy fill the top 20 spots on the list of best-selling toys on Amazon. (See why the toy's inventor isn't making a penny off them.)

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
13%
5%
5%
3%
52%
24%