Trump's Mar-a-Lago Visitor Logs Will Soon Be Released
Trump administration will release records in response to lawsuit
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Jul 17, 2017 7:00 PM CDT
In this April 15, 2017 file photo, President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Fla.   (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)

(Newser) – President Donald Trump made seven trips to his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida earlier this year, and the public might soon get a look at who else was there with him, the AP reports. The Department of Homeland Security has agreed to hand over records related to the property's visitors in September. The move comes in response to a lawsuit filed by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, the National Security Archive, and the Knight First Amendment Institute at Columbia University. Those organizations have been seeking information about visitors to Mar-a-Lago, Trump Tower, and the White House. Trump has not traveled to his New York City office tower since being inaugurated; he visited the Florida property—which he dubbed the "Winter White House"—throughout February, March, and April.

Homeland Security oversees the Secret Service, the agency charged with protecting the president. Spokespeople for the department and the agency declined to comment, citing the pending litigation. DHS said in response to the lawsuit that it has no records about Trump Tower. CREW officials say they have no idea what kind of information DHS will share about Mar-a-Lago, but the liberal-funded government watchdog said it will make public whatever it receives. The federal judge overseeing the case ordered late last week that the administration "complete its search for and processing of responsive 'records of presidential visitors at Mar-a-Lago,' and produce any non-exempt responsive records" by Sept. 8, according to court documents.

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
13%
5%
4%
49%
3%
26%