A suspect detained for allegedly stabbing two people to death in a knife attack in the western Finnish city of Turku is being investigated for murder with possible terrorist intent, police said Saturday. The dead from the apparent indiscriminate attack on Friday are Finnish citizens, while the eight wounded include one Italian national and two Swedes. Police have identified the suspect, an 18-year-old Moroccan citizen who was subdued with a shot in the thigh, but have not released his name. He is hospitalized under guard. Four other people were detained and held overnight in relation to the case, public broadcaster YLE reported. It was unclear what, if any, involvement they had. Police said they were working with colleagues from law enforcement abroad, the AP reports.
The NBI said others involved in the investigation were the Finnish Security Intelligence Service, police in Turku and the European Union's police agency, Europol. It was not known if the attack was linked to the decision in June by the Finnish Security Intelligence Service to raise its threat assessment to the second level of a four-step scale. At the time, it cited the Nordic country's "stronger profile within the radical Islamist propaganda." Finnish news agency STT, citing the hospital in Turku, said three of those wounded were still in intensive care. Four remained at the hospital and four had been released. Flowers and candles were placed on a square in Turku, and Finnish flags flew at half-staff across the country. "We need to stick together now, hate is not to be answered by hate," Prime Minister Juha Sipila said in a tweet.