Seoul Responded to Latest Pyongyang Launch Within Minutes
Test shows Guam is now in range, experts say
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Sep 15, 2017 5:15 AM CDT
South Korea's national flag flutters in the wind in Paju, South Korea, on Friday.   (AP Photo/Lee Jin-man)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – Secretary of State Rex Tillerson called for "direct actions" against North Korea from oil suppliers China and Russia after the country launched another missile over Japan early Friday. China and Russia "must indicate their intolerance for these reckless missile launches by taking direct actions of their own," Tillerson said, per the Guardian. South Korea's military says the intermediate-range missile flew higher and faster than the one North Korea fired over Japan last month, landing in the sea of Hokkaido after traveling around 2,300 miles, far enough that Guam is now in range, the BBC reports. Minutes after the launch, South Korea carried out a simulated strike on the North, firing two missiles into the sea.

"The range of this test was significant since North Korea demonstrated that it could reach Guam with this missile," the Union of Concerned Scientists said, per Reuters. The group added, however, that the targeting didn't appear to be accurate enough to put US bases at risk. Defense Secretary James Mattis said the "reckless" launch "put millions of Japanese in duck and cover." He told reporters President Trump was briefed on the launch, but that it was too early to discuss a possible military response. Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe warned that his country would "never tolerate" the "provocative action," which came soon after Pyongyang threatened to "sink" Japan.

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
3%
6%
7%
2%
71%
11%