He's being called "the Harvey Weinstein of fashion," but controversy has been swirling around fashion photographer Terry Richardson for years. With Weinstein's alleged sexual harassment and assault in the spotlight now, however, the Huffington Post says Richardson's days in the fashion industry are likely coming to an end. For nearly 20 years, per Mashable, Richardson has been hit with accusations of sexual harassment and assault, but after Condé Nast International said in a company email Monday that its publications (including Vogue, GQ, and Vanity Fair) would no longer work with him, the dominoes started falling. Fashion brands Bulgari, Valentino, and Diesel now say they will not work with him again. Target, H&M, and Aldo had already banned him.
Richardson has been accused of actions including taking off his clothes in front of models, offering Vogue shoots in exchange for sex, putting his penis in models' mouths, asking models to touch his genitals, and asking them to use their tampons to make tea. Some models have refused to work with him, but he's continued to get high-profile work. He's denied the allegations in the past, and did so again in a statement to BuzzFeed after the Condé Nast email was released: "[Richardson] is an artist who has been known for his sexually explicit work so many of his professional interactions with subjects were sexual and explicit in nature but all of the subjects of his work participated consensually," it reads in part. Meanwhile, model Jamie Peck, one of the first people to speak publicly about Richardson's alleged behavior, writes in the Guardian about why it took so long for him to fall. (Read more terry richardson stories.)