ISIS Issues Statement on NYC Terror Attack
Says suspect Sayfullo Saipov is one of its 'caliphate soldiers'
By Jenn Gidman,  Newser Staff
Posted Nov 3, 2017 10:46 AM CDT
Shrink
This undated photo provided by the St. Charles County Department of Corrections via KMOV shows Sayfullo Saipov.   (St. Charles County Department of Corrections/KMOV via AP)

(Newser) – New York City terror suspect Sayfullo Saipov was allegedly quick to reference ISIS, while the militant group stayed mum. That's changed. Reuters reports the Islamic State claimed responsibility Thursday in its own Al-Naba paper for the attack, saying that the 29-year-old is "one of the caliphate soldiers." Although investigators are still looking into Saipov's background, the criminal complaint against him says he told officials he was glad he'd carried out the attack, gained inspiration for it by viewing ISIS propaganda clips on his phone, and wanted to put up an ISIS flag in his room at Bellevue Hospital, where he's recovering after being shot in the abdomen by NYPD officer Ryan Nash.

CNN reports that ISIS didn't use Saipov's name in its claim and offers no evidence to back that claim up, including any showing that ISIS helped plan the attack or even knew about it beforehand. The site notes the wording is similar what it used after the Pulse Orlando shooting and a 2016 attack in Nice, France. CNN adds this is the first time ISIS has posted such a claim first in its newspaper rather than via its Amaq News Agency. Per ABC News, the ISIS statement also mentioned that the attack took place "close to the monument for the 9/11 raid" and, oddly, claimed that "60 crusaders" were killed or injured in the Halloween attack; the official count so far is eight dead, around a dozen wounded.

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
10%
14%
22%
2%
17%
34%