Lying at work, even to be polite, can hurt you in the long run. CNN suggests we all try cutting out these too-tempting lies:
- I'd be happy to. If you've got too much on your plate, speak up before you drown yourself.
- No questions. Preface your questions as clarification, but do ask them.
- My alarm didn't go off. Don't make up excuses. Say you're sorry, and be on time tomorrow.
- I'm not sick. Better to warn coworkers than be shunned for spreading the plague.
- I'm on schedule. Be honest about your progress, and maybe your boss will lend a hand or provide advice.