6 Years On, Casey Anthony's Legal Woes Continue
She files motion to dismiss defamation suit against her
By Kate Seamons,  Newser Staff
Posted Dec 6, 2017 10:55 AM CST
In this July 5, 2011, file photo, defense attorney Jose Baez, left, and Casey Anthony react after the jury acquitted her of murdering her daughter, Caylee, during Anthony's trial in Orlando, Fla.   (Red Huber/Orlando Sentinel via AP, Pool, File)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – It's been more than six years since Casey Anthony was acquitted, but as WKMG reports, the legal saga surrounding daughter Caylee Anthony's death hasn't ended for her. Anthony this week filed a motion in a bid to get former Orange County, Fla., meter reader Roy Kronk's lawsuit against her dismissed. He was the one who found Caylee's remains in August 2008, and in December 2011 he sued Anthony for defamation, alleging she instructed her lawyers to smear his name publicly and suggest he tampered with the placement of the body. Her lawyers insinuated Kronk may have done so to snag a reward, with attorney Jose Baez calling him a "morally bankrupt individual who actually took Caylee's body and hid her" in his opening statement.

Kronk testified that he never got closer than 30 feet to the remains. His suit also highlights a 2009 CBS interview with another member of Anthony's team, Linda Kenney Baden, who when asked about Kronk said, "You know, it's easy to snatch a kid away." In her motion, Anthony says Kronk supplied no proof that Anthony told her defense team to push Kronk's name, and she says the statements they did make weren't defamatory but, rather, part of an effort to highlight how investigators zoomed in on her at the expense of considering other suspects. The suit had previously been moved to bankruptcy court, and Anthony is asking that it be discharged from her bankruptcy case. The Orlando Sentinel in 2016 noted that some salacious new allegations were made as part of Kronk's case.

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
10%
11%
18%
11%
1%
48%