More than 300 text messages exchanged between two FBI agents who used to work for Robert Mueller's Russia probe were delivered to Congress this week, riling Republicans who didn't like how some of them had ripped into Donald Trump during the presidential campaign and shortly after he was elected. But per the Wall Street Journal, Trump wasn't the only target of the insults and snark lobbed between Peter Strzok and Lisa Page, who reportedly were having an affair during the period when the texts were exchanged, per Politico. Bernie Sanders was one notable who caught some flak. "I just saw my first Bernie Sanders bumper sticker. Made me want to key the car," Page wrote. Strzok replied: "He's an idiot like Trump. Figure they cancel each other out." Page also seemed worried in July 2016 that Bernie Sanders supporters, whom she called "sanderistas," would sabotage Hillary Clinton's chances.
Others who were verbally flayed in the texts:
- Page on Mitch McConnell: He looks like "a turtle."
- Strzok, apparently on Hillary Clinton: "I'm worried about what happens if HRC is elected." (No elaboration on why.)
- Page on Jeff Sessions, after learning he'd become AG: "Good god."
- Page on Ohio Gov. John Kasich: "long suspected of being gay."
- Strzok on Chelsea Clinton: "Self-entitled."
- Strzok on former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley: "a freakshow" and "a douche."
- Strzok on Paul Ryan: "a jerky."
- Strzok on Democratic National Convention speech by former AG Eric Holder: "Oh God, Holder! Turn it off turn if off!!!"
Meanwhile, a DOJ spokeswoman says that some members of the media received copies of the texts before they were supposed to, and Democratic lawmakers aren't happy about it, Politico
reports. "Those disclosures were not authorized by the department," she said in a statement. Read more of the texts here