NYC Fights 'Disgusting' Acts With $50M Plan
Security bollards are designed to prevent ramming attacks
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Jan 3, 2018 2:14 AM CST
Shrink
Police officers walk past protective barriers installed in New York's Times Square on Tuesday.   (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
camera-icon View 5 more images

(Newser) – "When a vehicle plows into a group of innocent pedestrians, it's disgusting," New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said Tuesday, announcing a plan to install 1,500 new security bollards to protect pedestrians from vehicle ramming attacks like the one that killed eight people on Halloween. The mayor said the metal posts—which will replace temporary concrete barriers in some places, making it easier for pedestrians to get around—will be installed in locations including Times Square beginning later this month, ABC7 reports. "These bollards will make sure vehicles can never come into places where pedestrians are," he said.

The city says the permanent barriers, including concrete planters as well as bollards, will be installed over the next few years at a cost of around $50 million. Officials say installing the bollards in some of New York's busiest areas will be complicated because of the amount of infrastructure below ground, the New York Times reports. "If you want to make them so they can really stop a vehicle, they need to go some distance into the ground," says Transportation Commissioner Polly Trottenberg. (In May last year, bollards eventually stopped a man who drove along New York City sidewalks for three blocks, injuring 22 people and killing a visitor from Michigan.)

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
2%
12%
9%
63%
3%
10%