Steve Wynn Resigns Amid Sex Misconduct Claims
'I have found myself the focus of an avalanche of negative publicity'
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Feb 7, 2018 12:40 AM CST
This March 15, 2016 photo shows casino mogul Steve Wynn at a news conference in Medford, Mass.   (AP Photo/Charles Krupa, File)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – Casino mogul Steve Wynn resigned Tuesday as chairman and CEO of Wynn Resorts amid sexual misconduct allegations. "In the last couple of weeks, I have found myself the focus of an avalanche of negative publicity," Wynn said in a statement Tuesday. "As I have reflected upon the environment this has created—one in which a rush to judgment takes precedence over everything else, including the facts—I have reached the conclusion I cannot continue to be effective in my current roles." The move follows a Wall Street Journal report that a number of women said Wynn harassed or assaulted them and that one case led to a $7.5 million settlement with a manicurist who said she was forced to have sex with him.

The Las Vegas billionaire has vehemently denied the allegations, which he attributes to a campaign led by his ex-wife. Last month, Wynn resigned as finance chairman of the Republican National Committee. Since 2013, Wynn has contributed nearly $2.4 million to GOP candidates and party organizations around the country, including Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval and 2017 special election winners. Some Republicans in Congress, including Nevada's Dean Heller, have already announced they are donating contributions they received from Wynn to charity, the AP reports. Wynn also faces investigations by gambling regulators in two states. (Wynn allegedly created a company to pay off his accuser.)


My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
27%
7%
10%
44%
2%
10%