FBI Chief Just Worsened White House's Rob Porter Problem
Christopher Wray's account differs with the White House version of events
By John Johnson,  Newser Staff
Posted Feb 13, 2018 1:05 PM CST
In this Feb. 2 photo, then White House staff secretary Rob Porter, front, walks with White House Chief of Staff John Kelly.   (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)

(Newser) – The Rob Porter saga re-emerged front and center in Washington on Tuesday, as FBI chief Christopher Wray testified before a Senate panel. The upshot is that Wray's account suggests the White House was warned about Porter's background months before it has previously acknowledged, reports USA Today. Porter resigned his White House post last week over allegations that he beat his ex-wives. Details and developments, including an op-ed from Porter's first wife:

  • What the FBI did: Wray says the FBI submitted a partial report on Porter's security clearance to the White House in March and completed its investigation in July. The FBI then got a request for a follow-up, which it provided in November. Wray said the agency considered the Porter file closed in January, reports Politico.
  • The contradictions: One big one is that the White House has maintained that the investigation into Porter was still ongoing, but Wray says it was over. Also, the White House has never mentioned getting even a partial report as early as March, reports the New York Times. White House officials have said they were first contacted by the FBI about Porter in the summer, per the Washington Post.

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
10%
19%
17%
14%
11%
28%