North Korea Follows One Threat With a Second
Warns it'll ax June 12 summit with Trump if denuclearization talk keeps up
By Kate Seamons,  Newser Staff
Posted May 16, 2018 6:37 AM CDT
Shrink
People watch a TV screen showing file footage of Donald Trump, left, and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un during a news program at the Seoul Railway Station in Seoul, South Korea, Wednesday, May 16, 2018.   (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – North Korea is ratcheting up its threats—and potentially inching away from the table. After canceling high-level talks with South Korea planned for Wednesday and warning the US it could cancel Kim Jong Un's meeting with President Trump over joint military exercises between the US and South Korea, another wrinkle. The Guardian reports Pyongyang is adding to the list of things that could imperil the planned June 12 summit: A statement released by KCNA on Wednesday says the North would bow out if the US maintains its "one-sided demand for us to give up our nukes." The report quotes first vice minister of foreign affairs Kim Kye Gwan, and the New York Times has the statement in full. More on what it says, and reaction to it:

  • The statement references the "so-called Libya mode of nuclear abandonment" on more than one occasion, saying US comments about complete denuclearization amount to "a manifestation of awfully sinister move to impose on our dignified state the destiny of Libya or Iraq which had been collapsed due to yielding the whole of their countries to big powers. ... It is absolutely absurd to dare compare [North Korea], a nuclear weapon state, to Libya which had been at the initial state of nuclear development."

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
16%
16%
16%
5%
14%
33%