Your local graveyard may be creepy, but mazelike mansions and murderous history make up LifeScience’s list of the most haunted places in America:
- Winchester Mystery House: More than 100 rooms and staircases leading nowhere fill this San Jose, Calif., mansion, built by its paranoid owner to ward off ghosts.
- Amityville Horror: The NY site where a son said demons possessed him to kill six family members.
- Alcatraz may seem like a tourist stop, but screams and cell door slams still reverberate at the famous prison island in San Francisco Bay.
- Fox Sisters Cabin in western NY is the site of a faked séance that led to the creation of a religion still practiced today.
- The White House has had many residents, but some, including Honest Abe, seem to have never left.