Bear Spray Incident Sends Amazon Workers to Hospital

9-ounce bottle of spray was accidentally punctured
By Newser Editors,  Newser Staff
Posted Dec 5, 2018 2:50 PM CST
In this Nov. 20, 2015, file photo, packages being shipped in Amazon boxes ride a conveyor belt.   (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky, File)

(Newser) – Amazon sells everything, including bear spray, a fact that made for a pretty rough workday for some employees at an Amazon fulfillment center in Robbinsville, NJ. ABC News reports bear repellent spray was accidentally released on the third floor of the 1.3 million-square foot facility, sending 24 workers to five area hospitals "as a precaution," per Amazon. NJ.com reports one worker remains in critical condition. Another 30 workers were treated on-site after the 9-ounce bottle, which CNN likens to pepper spray, was accidentally punctured by an automated machine. Workers subsequently experienced breathing troubles and burning in the eyes and throat. (A freak accident created a toxic gas cloud at a Tampa pool.)

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
29%
6%
5%
2%
54%
5%