“Since McCain and Obama appear to have the nominations locked up,” it's time to start eyeing the veepstakes, Chris Cillizza writes in The Fix blog. Here are his top three for each presumptive nominee, GOP first:
- Tim Pawlenty: The Minnesota governor is a longtime McCain backer, and widely admired.
- John Thune: A handsome conservative who also beat then-senator Tom Daschle 4 years ago.
- Rob Portman: From Ohio, a crack economist, and not well-known—which could actually be a good thing.
Obama's top three end on a familiar name:
- Kathleen Sebelius: The governor of Kansas brings "more historic weight."
- Ted Strickland: The Clinton-supporting Ohio governor could bridge Obama's gap with white, working-class voters.
- Hillary Clinton: Her presence would contradict Obama's change message, but "stranger things have most definitely happened."
To see more of Cillizza's picks, click on the link below.