Bunk bed-related injuries have sent more than half a million young people to the hospital since 1990, WebMD reports. Ohio State University researchers found that boys and young men accounted for 61% of the ER visits. Cuts, bruises, and fractures were the most common injuries, with almost three-quarters of the injuries resulting from a fall. Children under the age of 6 accounted for half of the injured.
Some bunk bed safety tips from the researchers:
- Make sure a guardrail is fitted to both sides of the top bunk with a gap no bigger than 3.5 inches
- Use a properly sized mattress
- Don't let kids under 6 sleep in the top bunk
- Keep bunk beds away from fans and other ceiling fixtures
- Use night lights to make sure the ladder can be seen all night long