The best cities are those where you can not only find work and affordable housing, but are also infused with culture and creativity, Kiplinger's Personal Finance writes. Its (somewhat surprising) top 10:
- Houston: Flush with museums, nightlife, and a teeming job market.
- Raleigh, NC: Revitalized tech town.
- Omaha, Neb.: Indie culture with Midwest work ethic.
- Boise, Idaho: Silicon-soaked environmental playground.
- Colorado Springs, Colo.: Chill, cheap, outdoor haven.
- Austin, Texas: Music mecca meets solid market.
- Fayetteville, Ark.: Funky corporate hub.
- Sacramento, Calif.: Green Fortune 500 center.
- Des Moines, Iowa: Family-friendly and booming.
- Provo, Utah: Gorgeous software center.