It wasn’t easy, but a bruised Barack Obama has finally wrapped up the Democratic nomination. The Guardian’s Michael Tomasky knows what he needs to do next:
- Redefine himself. Obama has a lot of time now to remind us why he inspired people in the first place.
- Define John McCain. The honeymoon should be over for the GOP nominee; Obama can attack him pointedly on Bush, Iraq, and his growing array of flip-flops.
- Appease Hillary. It’s probably going to take a painful concession to make nice with the Clintons, but Obama needs to do it. He just shouldn’t make her VP.
- Unite the party. Special attention needs to be paid to the voting blocks that swung Clinton’s way in the primaries. He also needs to get Hillary-endorsers onboard.
- Brace himself, because, in Tomasky’s words, “We are going to see a lot of outright racist and other crazy garbage in this country until election day.”