Which ideas informed the national discourse (or lack thereof) in the past year? Well, the Atlantic Monthly knows, and there are 11 … er, 11½. From the troop surge in Iraq to post-partisan politics to the provocatively titled “mass-market atheism,” a look at some of the most captivating concepts of the past 12 months:
- Carbon consciousness: Going green catches on.
- Torture: It's clear now that Abu Ghraib was no exception to the rule.
- "Not Bombing Iran": What might have been seems unlikely ... for now.
- Renting: Perhaps a better option than foreclosure.
- "MySpace Politics": OMG, a text from Obama? Actually, not that unusual.
For the complete list (and attendant explanations), click the link below.