Dear wannabe running mates, here’s how to campaign for the No. 2 job, per Mark Halperin in Time:
- Prove you can be an attack dog while maintaining “eloquence.”
- Suck up to Michelle/Cindy. They’ll have the final say before the final say.
- Notify the campaign of every appearance you plan to make.
- Prove you’ve got something the future nominee needs.
- Want it too much. “Try to come across as the player who will dive for the loose ball, but not like the guard who takes every shot every time up the court.”
- Offer up impromptu advice to the candidate, in public or in private.
- Say you don’t want it. Obama/McCain doesn’t want to look like he begged you.
- Talk smack about your VP rivals. They’ll be asked about you soon enough.