With $4 gas, shrinking competition, and airport fees, finding an affordable road-trip rental can be challenging. Travel and Leisure offers these tips to curb costs.
- Avoid airport rentals: Rent your car from downtown and avoid airport fees that add 25% to 45% to your bill.
- Ditch the rental specifics in favor of Hotwire or Priceline’s reservation roulette, in which you pay without knowing which rental agency you're dealing with.
- Take the aggregator route: Try rental-comparison sites such as Kayak or SideStep.
- Check with your insurance company to know what's covered.
- Don't forget to top off the tank upon return.
- Travel globally, rent locally: A better deal and broader selection may await abroad if you give a native rental agency a spin.
For more tips, click below.