Robert Mugabe has agents in Britain harassing dissidents and disrupting opposition fundraising, the Independent reports. British security sources confirmed that Zimbabwean government supporters in England are terrorizing the nearly 4,000 supporters of opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai in the UK as Mugabe seeks to keep his grip on power. A key target of the covert operation is the money—up to $20,000 monthly—being chaneled to Tsvangirai's party.
The tactics employed by Mugabe's men include:
- Filming demonstrators and later calling them
- Threats against family members
- Seizing newspapers headed for Zimbabwe
- E-mails cancelling fundraising events
- Paying people to stop criticizing Mugabe
- Disrupting meetings, and
- Seizing mobile phones and intercepting messages.