Whether the Obama girls or the McCain brood move into the White House next, all eyes will be on the new presidential offspring. Saturday Night Live's infamous dig at 13-year-old Chelsea Clinton and Jenna Bush's public underage drinking are reminders that nothing, from braces to boyfriends, escapes the spotlight. Some First Kid highlights from AP:
- Alice Roosevelt's antics drove dad Teddy up a wall. "I can do one of two things," he said. "I can be president of the United States, or I can control Alice."
- Caroline Kennedy, when asked what her dad was up to, replied, "Oh, he's upstairs with his shoes and socks off, not doing anything."
- Susan Ford famously slipped her Secret Service detail to scavenge the streets of DC unaccompanied.
- Amy Carter, age 9 when her father was elected, brought a book to a state dinner. She did not attend another.
- Tad Lincoln once interrupted a White House tour his mother was giving—by barreling in on a chair towed by two goats.