Despite a National League-best 53-36 record, all is not well in Wrigleyville, Paul Sullivan writes in the Chicago Tribune. The Cubs need these seven guys to step up and insure that Sweet Lou’s “100-year thing” doesn’t become a 101-year thing:
- Sean Marshall: Lefty pitcher needs to keep up his current quality to help the team, and stay on it.
- Henry Blanco: With a backup this good, rookie catcher Geovany Soto needs to sit more to insure his longevity.
- Jim Edmonds: His offensive resurgence needs to carry over into the second half.
- Carlos Marmol: The reliever needs to get over his "phase" quick.
- Daryle Ward: Can the defensively hapless slugger find success after his inter-league stint at DH?
- Jason Marquis: Can the starter learn second-half consistency?
- Ryan Theriot: Needs to continue his success at short.