Before you clear a spot on the mantle for that gold medal, you may need a quick reality check: Forbes runs down the numbers behind the blood, sweat, and tears of an Olympic athlete's training.
- Training: 4 to 8 years to maximize lung capacity and heart strength
- Sessions: up to 3 a day, 6 days a week
- Goal setting: beyond annual benchmarks, some athletes plan 4 years out
- Pain: suck it up in 55-degree toxin-flushing baths
- Sleep: clock 10 hours a night...plus an afternoon nap to rebuild muscle
- Eat, eat, eat: up to 5,000 calories a day during intense training
Click the link below for the complete list.