This week's flap over a rape joke John McCain reportedly made 22 years ago inspired Politico to recall the candidate's checkered history of telling jokes. Some examples:
- A quip about why then-18-year-old Chelsea Clinton was "so ugly.”
- Calling a young man who asked about his age “you little jerk" and adding, "You’re drafted!”
- Comparing the French to "an aging actress of the 1940s who is still trying to dine out on her looks but doesn't have the face for it."
- Threatening to name Phil Gramm ambassador to Belarus.
- Speculating that growing US cigarette sales to Iran represent “a way of killing 'em.”