It's not quite time for John McCain's "obit," Mark Halperin writes in Time, but we're getting there. How the Republican could right the ship:
- Realize that voters “want an upbeat president”—and stop pointing out his old age.
- Recognize that Americans care more about mortgages and health-care costs than about his life story.
- Try driving one message for longer than a day.
- Stop letting distaste for the Barack Obama show—and stop being so upset over Obamamania.
- Hope Obama screws up big-time on “relatability to average Americans” or on foreign policy.
- Hope gas prices fall.
- Hope Osama bin Laden is captured.