Looking to keep the mosquitos away but not crazy about slathering yourself in a chemical such as DEET? Grist slapped on five DEET-free alternatives, with varying results:
- All Terrain Herbal Armor: This spray might be eco-friendly, but a medicine smell and filmy skin coating make that $4.99 better spent elsewhere.
- Avon Skin So Soft Bath Oil: Has a loyal fan base, though it leaves you oily and smelling like grandma; a bit of a hassle to apply. $12.99.
- EcoSmart Insect Repellent: This all-natural $5.99 spray smells nice and dries fast.
- Quantum Buzz Away Insect Repellent: The best of the bunch.This spray leaves no film. $5.99.
- Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Repellent: The overpowering smell makes this not such a bargain at $5.99.