Wie Snubs Women's Major, Opts to Play in Men's Event
Is it payback for being disqualified from a recent tournament?
By Nick McMaster,  Newser Staff
Posted Jul 30, 2008 5:00 PM CDT
Michelle Wie talks during a news conference three days before the Legends at Sparks Marina Reno-Tahoe Open at the Montreux Golf & Country Club on Friday, July 25, 2008, in Reno, Nev. .   (AP Photo/Kevin Clifford)
camera-icon View 2 more images

(Newser) – Michelle Wie seems to be getting some payback on the LPGA after being disqualified from a recent tournament for failing to sign her scorecard, notes Thomas Bonk in the Los Angeles Times. It may be just a coincidence, but when the women's British Open tees off this week, the 18-year-old will be nowhere near. Instead, she’ll be playing with the boys, adding her considerable ratings draw to the PGA's Reno-Tahoe Open.

"There are going to be criticisms in entering this tournament,” Wie said, “but at the same time, I'm just doing what I feel like I want to do." Wie has played in eight PGA tournaments so far but has yet to make a cut. "I know she is going to sell a lot more tickets than I will, but I would say it's surprising," said the PGA's Jay Williamson. "I don't think it's a real popular decision out here."