A new Obama campaign memo obtained by Time documents Republican disapproval of the McCain camp’s recent tactics. Some highlights:
- Pat Buchanan on the commercial juxtaposing Obama, Britney Spears, and Paris Hilton: "Look, this is not an effective ad.”
- Ed Rollins: “John needs to be the deliberate, experienced veteran and not the grumpy old man.”
- David Gergen: "This is not the John McCain who Americans have come to love and to respect."
- McCain 2000 media consultant Mike Murphy: “A pure attack tone could be perilous.”
- Chuck Hagel on ad criticizing Obama for not visiting Landstuhl: "I think John is treading on some very thin ground."