If you're considering getting married—or divorced—it may be time to mull over Maclean's reasons why matrimony is healthy:
- Married people have less chance of dying from car accidents, cancer, cirrhosis of the liver, heart attacks, and homicide.
- Men who divorce or separate are six times more likely to be depressed than those who stick with it; women, 3.5 times more likely.
- Two words: combined income. Married people usually have more money when they retire, too.
- Young married couples with kids are more likely to buy a home than singles who earn just as much.
- Married women and men are less likely to be raped or assaulted.
- Married people volunteer more and give more to charity.
- Husbands and wives get more sex, more frequently—and some studies suggest they even enjoy it more.