Competing in 20 Olympic events and going for a record eight gold medals, American swimming phenom Michael Phelps is first off the block in the BBC's list of 10 to watch in Beijing. Here are some of the others:
- Natalie du Toit: This South African swimmer and Paralympic gold-medalist will make a splash as the first female amputee to compete at the Summer Games.
- Kenenisa Bekele: Can the Ethiopian runner win the both the 5,000- and the 10,000-meter races?
- Usain Bolt: The Jamaican 100 meter world record-holder could dominate Beijing if he achieves a sprint double: wins in both the 100- and 200-meter races.
- Liu Xiang: The hopes of 1.3 billion rest on the legs of China's famed hurdler.
- Yelena Isinbayeva: Will the world record-holder pole vault her way to another gold?
For the rest, click the link below.