Democrats are getting worried. “It’s not that people think McCain will win,” one pollster said. “It’s that they are realizing that McCain could win.” Politico lists the things Obama has to worry about:
- Race: May yet prove a wild card.
- Virginia: At best a toss-up, not a reliable hedge against an Ohio and Florida swing.
- Michigan: Looks ready to flip McCain’s way.
- The unstable economy: If things get scary, voters may run to the known quantity.
- Bob Barr: Not exactly drawing Ross Perot-like numbers.
- History: The only Democrats to win since the ‘60s have been white Southerners.
- Bipartisanship: A divided America might want a divided government, not, in one consultant's words, "a pair of Pelosis running things."