Ten Worst Jobs in Science
The less glamorous side of research, from toxic waste to whale feces
- Hazmat diver: They swim in sewage, toxic spills and other undesirable liquid environments.
- Oceanographer: With the coral reefs dying, pollutants rising, and overfishing it's just one long stream of bad news.
- Elephant vasectomist: With a testicle a foot in diameter, it isn't exactly a walk in the wildlife preserve.
- Garbologist: These scientists take dumpster diving to a whole new level.
- Coursework carcass preparer: Someone has to get those fetal pigs ready for the classroom.
- Microsoft security grunt: Fixing all the bugs in Windows is a sisyphean task.
- Gravity research subject: Subjects stay in bed for a month to simulate muscle wasting in space.
- Olympic drug tester: A lose-lose game. Miss a cheat and the media pounces, catch one and a nation hates you.
- Forensic entomologist: These lucky scientists study maggots in corpses to determine the time of death.
- Whale-feces researcher: Whale poo is semi-liquid gold for these folk.