Karzai Vows Punishment for Deadly US Raid
'Our relation with the foreigners got worst,' president says after 90 Afghans claimed dead
By Ambreen Ali,  Newser User
Posted Sep 4, 2008 12:41 PM CDT
An elderly man, who allegedly lost his relatives during last month's air strikes, waits to participate at a ceremony where Afghan president Hamid Karzai talked today.    (AP Photo)
camera-icon View 2 more images

(Newser) – President Hamid Karzai vowed to punish those responsible for killing as many as 90 civilians in a raid last month by US and Afghan commandos, saying Afghanistan’s relationship with “the foreigners got worst,” the AP reports. The US and NATO claim at least 30 militants and no more than seven civilians died Aug. 22; the UN backs Karzai’s figures.

The US says Taliban militants have villagers file false death reports to claim rewards, with the attendant negative publicity hurting American credibility. But in this case, Afghan officials claim there is video and photo proof that children were present during the attack, with as many as 60 killed. Karzai has asked for an updated force agreement between his government and foreign militaries.