UK Cook Eats Own Hot Sauce, Dies
Contest with girlfriend's brother ends in tragedy
By Harry Kimball,  Newser Staff
Posted Sep 29, 2008 2:37 PM CDT
An Italian woman makes a tomato sauce.   (AP Photo)
camera-icon View 5 more images

(Newser) – A budding British cook died last week after eating his own spicy tomato sauce, the London Times reports. Andrew Lee, 33, challenged his girlfriend’s brother to a contest, arriving with a jar of the sauce, made with chilies his father had grown. After eating it, he felt itchy and discomfited, and fell asleep while his girlfriend scratched his back. The next morning he was dead.

“He apparently got into bed at 2:30 am and started scratching all over,” the victim’s sister said. “His girlfriend scratched his back until he fell asleep. She woke up and he had gone. It is incredible. Who would have thought he could have died from eating chili sauce? We don’t know of anything else that could have caused his death. The postmortem showed no heart problems.”