For most people job security is a thing of the past, and obsolescence a looming threat. Happily though, there are some roles that never go out of style. Careerbuilder.com lists the most unshakable jobs, along with median annual income.
- Doctor: We always need someone to care for our ill. Median annual salary is $120,000.
- Teacher: New crops of kids always need someone to educate them. $41,400 to $45,920
- Mortician: Unless we somehow manage to eliminate death, we'll always need someone to lay our loved ones to rest. $37,000
- Waste Disposal Manager: Humans are messy creatures. $35,000
- Scientist: We don't even know how much we don't know. For a research scientist, $70,000; for an environmental scientist, $42,000
- Tax Collector: As the saying goes, nothing is certain but death and taxes, and we already covered death. $38,000
- Barber: Hair just won't stay cut. $34,000
- Soldier: The 20th century proved world peace is, for now, a pipe dream. $14,137 but also includes paid housing, food allowance, health insurance, paid leave and education stipends
- Religious Leader: Those nagging questions of existence just won't go away by themselves. $34,000
- Law Enforcement Officer: Governments need people to enforce their rules. Public, $38,236; private security, $62,700