Cellphones have sent five once-hot gadgets to the techno graveyard, Wired reports:
- The PDA: Dating back to the Psion Organizer 24 years ago, PDAs enabled busy folk to schedule meetings, keep addresses, and type notes. Only when cellphones included good calendars did PDAs die off.
- The Camera: Cameras are still around, but Gen Y prefers cell cams, and cheapie digicams are definitely dead.
- The UMPC: People carrying iPhones and G1s already have handheld computers, so why buy an Ultra Mobile PC that's overpriced and hard to use?
- The MP3 Player: Cellphones play MP3s. 'Nuff said.
- The Notebook: Not dead yet, but their functions already exist on top-of-the-line cellphones.