With the Bush White House pushing through a raft of last-minute rules, the nonprofit journalism group ProPublica offers a running list, with the status of each:
- Business-friendly safety regulations would loosen restrictions on exposure to toxic chemicals in the workplace.
- Local police would get increased surveillance ability.
- Loaded guns would be allowed in some national parks.
- Health care providers would have to show they’re not discriminating against employees who refuse to perform abortions on moral grounds.
- Investment-firm employees could give advice to clients, even if employees have a financial stake in the matter.
- Federal agencies could decide for themselves, without independent scientific review, whether development projects threaten endangered species.
- A drinking-water contaminant would not require regulation.
Click on the link for more proposals and details.