Indian Government Admits 'Lapses' in Security
By Harry Kimball,  Newser Staff
Posted Dec 5, 2008 5:30 PM CST
People gather to express their protests against recent terror attacks in front of the Gateway of India monument in Mumbai, Wednesday.   (AP Photo)
camera-icon View 4 more images

(Newser) – India’s new home minister said today that the response to the Mumbai terror attacks was lackluster, the New York Times reports. “There have been lapses,” said Palaniappan Chidambaram. “I would be less than truthful if I said there had been no lapses.” Meanwhile, PM Manmohan Singh continued to insinuate Pakistani responsibility. “The territory of a neighboring country has been used for this crime,” he said.

As the government takes its licks from an enraged public, new details emerged. Indian investigators are sure the attack was masterminded from two Pakistani cities with the aid of satellite and cell phones. India continues to assert that the group responsible, formed with the aid of Pakistani intelligence 20 years ago, is still connected. Condoleezza Rice, in a statement yesterday, expressed hope the two countries could work together.