Three years after Tom Cruise and Today's Matt Lauer went a few rounds over Scientology, drugs, and Brooke Shields' postpartum depression, the pair is set for a rematch Monday—which spurred the Los Angeles Times to list Tom's top 5 head-smacking interviews:
- Oprah, May 2005: Cruise dances around proclaiming love for Katie: "I like intimacy."
- German tabloid Bild, June 2005: Cruise says that "of course" he believes in aliens: "Are you really so arrogant as to believe we are alone in this universe?"
- Der Speigel, April 2005: Cruise defends his "information tent" for Scientology on the War of the Worlds set.
- YouTube, January 2008: "Being a Scientologist, people are turning to you, so you better know it, you better know it and if you don't, go and learn it, but don't pretend you know it."
- War of the Worlds premiere, June 2005: After a man posing as a reporter squirted him with water from a prank microphone, Cruise said, "I’m here giving you an interview and you do that. … It’s incredibly rude. You’re a jerk.”