This year saw the passing of many notable people, from Paul Newman and Michael Crichton to William F. Buckley and designer Yves St. Laurent. Here are a few that made the lists of the NY Times and LA Times:
- Tim Russert (b. 1950)—TV journalist and 16-year host of Meet the Press.
- Charlton Heston (b. 1923)—star of Ben-Hur and The Ten Commandments, and later NRA activist.
- George Carlin (b. 1937)—legendary rabble-rousing comedian.
- Heath Ledger (b. 1979)—rising star's credits include Brokeback Mountain; Oscar rumblings for Dark Knight.
- Steve Fossett (b. 1945)—billionaire adventurer missing since September 2007.
- Albert Hoffman (b. 1906)—research chemist who discovered LSD.
- Edmund Hillary (b. 1919)—first person to reach the Mt. Everest summit.
- Harold Pinter, (b. 1930)—Nobel prize-winning playwright.
- Louis de Cazenave (b. 1897)—Germany's last veteran of World War I.
- Paul Newman (b. 1925)—star of The Hustler, Cool Hand Luke, and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, as well as a powerful philanthropist.
- Studs Terkel (b. 1912)—Pulitzer-Prize winning author.
Click below for the full lists.