The election is over, a political era is ending, and a number of this year's frequent headline-makers will step out of the spotlight in 2009. Politico gets misty-eyed about its favorites:
- Dick Cheney: Who else would tell a senior senator to “go f*** himself”? Who else, when asked about the public’s disapproval of his foreign policy, would respond, “So what?”
- Rep. William Jefferson: Nancy Pelosi said it best: “Anybody with $90,000 in their freezer has a problem.”
- Alan Colmes of Fox's Hannity & Colmes: America hardly knew ye—but conservatives and liberals alike sure hated ye.
- Sen. Chuck Hagel: The Senate’s real maverick didn’t wind up running for, or being appointed to, anything, despite numerous “political strip-teases.”
- Sen. Ted Stevens: Nobody bullied, thundered, and menaced like Stevens. Will we ever see another “coot-off” between him and Robert Byrd?
For the full list, click the link below.