Napping is a good idea, but afternoon slumber eludes many of us. Mental Floss offers some pointers for adults who have trouble snoozing while the sun shines.
- Don't fight it: Humans are hardwired to hit the sack twice a day.
- The optimal nap length is 20 or 90 minutes.
- Sleep for longer than 45 minutes but less than 90 minutes and you're guaranteed to wake up groggy.
- Lie down in the dark, and don't get too hot.
- Consider a white-noise machine or its low-cost alternative: a fan.
- If bedtime is soon, skip the nap.
- Quit that time-consuming job that lacks siesta benefits.