America's brainiest small towns boast high property values and high culture. Forbes lists the nation's smartest:
- Bethesda, Md.: Nearby Georgetown and the National Institutes of Health draw brainy folk to Bethesda, which has a rate of advanced degrees five times higher than the nation's.
- Wellesley, Mass.: Home to two private colleges and some of the state's top high schools, Wellesley is just 13 miles from brainy Boston.
- Palo Alto, Calif.: Palo Alto's scholarly folk, drawn by Stanford University, maintain a median income of $119,000.
- McLean, Va.: Many officials and politicians are drawn here from nearby Washington, DC.
- Los Altos, Calif.: Pulls in some of Stanford's tenure-track faculty and probably has even higher property values than Palo Alto.
For more enlightened corners, click here