Most of us can't afford to hire a PR firm. Forbes offers tips for self-promoting with the best of them.
- Know your audience. Spend some time researching the best way to put yourself out there.
- Make a (useful) press kit. Not just more fodder for the recycling bin.
- Craft a compelling story. If you want press, figure out the kind of story outlets feature before you contact them.
- Take on cheap help. College students will work for pennies to beef up their resumes.
- Apply for an award. A vote of confidence from the right folk will raise your profile.